Tomato Rice is a popular South Indian food prepared using rice and chopped tomatoes.
This recipe is very popular and everyone likes to eat it from kids to adults.
However, it is believed that the recipe originated from Tamil Nadu.
Tomato Rice is a delicious, healthy and spicy rice recipe that you can make for your main course or dinner.
This dish is also a bit spicy which makes it mouth watering.
One of the specialties of this dish is that it is very easy to prepare and does not take much time.
Today we are telling you about the recipe of tomato rice here.
Scroll down the article to read the recipe.
• 1 cup of any rice of your choice
• 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
• 2 Tbsp cooking oil
• 1 Tbsp ginger-garlic paste
• 8-10 medium sized curry leaves
• cup finely chopped onions
• tsp chopped green chillies
• 2 green cardamoms
• tsp mustard seeds
• inch cinnamon stick
• tsp fenugreek seeds
• 2-3 cloves
• 1 tsp cumin powder
• tsp red chilli powder
• tsp turmeric powder
• tsp coriander powder
• tsp black pepper powder
• tbsp chopped mint leaves
• cup chopped coriander
• water as required
• salt as required
prepare like this
• First wash the rice thoroughly twice.
• Once you have washed the rice, soak it in water for 20-30 minutes.
• Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Make sure the flame is low-medium.
• After this, put mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds in the oil and let it crackle for some time.
• Add cinnamon stick, clove and cardamom. Keep the flame medium only, otherwise all the spices may get burnt.
• Now put finely chopped onion in the oil. Stir it and fry the chopped onion till soft.
• After this add chopped green chilies, ginger-garlic paste and curry leaves. Fry the ingredients till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic paste goes away.
• After this, reduce the flame and then add chopped tomatoes along with salt and turmeric. Stir it too and fry for two minutes.
• Now add black pepper powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
• Mix everything well and fry the tomatoes for another 5-7 minutes.
• You will see that the tomatoes become soft and start releasing oil from the edges.
• Now add soaked rice. Make sure you drain the water well before adding the rice.
• Gently mix the rice with the tomato mixture. Fry for a minute.
• Now put chopped coriander and mint leaves in the pressure cooker with one and a half cups of water.
• Add more salt if required.
• Cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook on medium flame for 2 whistles.
• After two whistles in the cooker, turn off the gas and let the pressure cooker release steam.
• Serve hot tomato rice with raita and curry.
People – 3
• Calories – 121 calories
• Fat – 10 g
• Protein – 2 g
• Carbohydrate – 7 g
• Fiber – 2 g